Introduction and Scope
The Sites are not intended for children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information via the Sites from visitors in this age group. We do, however, collect information about children and babies from their parents. We ask that our users not provide information about a baby or child without first getting the parents’ consent. We encourage parents to talk to their children about their use of the Internet and the information they disclose to Web sites.
Types of Data Collected; Collection Methods; Combination of Data
You actively send information to us when you sign up with us a member on a Site, participate in surveys or promotions, post opinions on our boards, respond to us or otherwise contact us. Depending on your choices, you may send us personally identifiable information such as your email address, name, mailing address, phone number, birthday, and gender; password; baby due date/birthday, name and gender. But, you can also use certain features of our Sites without telling us your name and if you do not tell us who you are, we do not try to find out.
We also track information about how you use our Site through cookies, Internet tags or web beacons, and navigational data collection (log files, server logs, clickstream). For example, your Internet browser automatically transmits to us information such as the URL of the website you just came from and the Internet Protocol (IP) address and the browser version your computer is currently using.
You do have choices about the collection of information by third parties on our web site. Many, but not all, third parties engaged in interest based advertising participate in an industry wide self regulatory program which has developed consumer-friendly standards for interest based advertising. You can opt out of interest-based advertising offered by participating third parties. With respect to third parties that do not participate in this program, they may or may not offer a mechanism for opting out of interest based advertising.
In addition to the foregoing, you can set your browser to notify you when a cookie is sent or to refuse or delete cookies altogether, but certain features of the Sites might not work without certain cookies.
If you have actively sent us your name or other personally identifiable information, we may combine such information with tracked information for the purposes set forth below.
Purposes of Data Collection
We collect information about you because we want to determine what you may like or find interesting, so we can provide you with targeted information and advertising (on our Site, in newsletters, via email and otherwise). In addition, we use data to create statistics and reports where personally identifiable information has been removed and aggregated (such that it is anonymous as regards any specific user) for various business purposes.
Disclosure of Data
We keep your personally identifiable information confidential and we generally do not disclose it. But, please note the following clarifications and exceptions:
- Our employees and independent contractors have access to some of your personally identifiable information for the purpose of helping us run our business (and not for their own purposes). They access and use such data subject to our instructions, on a “need to know” basis and under confidentiality and security obligations.
- We may also share your personally identifiable information to respond to law enforcement requests, court orders or other legal process or if we believe that such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent or respond to illegal activities, fraud, physical threats to you or others or as otherwise required by any applicable law or regulation.
- Even though we do not provide any personally identifiable information about you specifically to any advertising customers, they can occasionally find out information indirectly. For example, we frequently agree on target audiences for particular ads (for example, an advertiser may ask us to send certain information on infant safety products to parents with small children who may be particularly interested). If you choose to respond to such targeted advertisements, the advertiser may deduce that you are a member of the target audience to whom we sent the ad.
- If you sign up for our services on a third party website, such third party may know—from you— that you signed up on one or our Sites.
- Before we disclose your personally identifiable data to a third party for their own business purposes (such as a survey or a sweepstake), we will first obtain your consent, for example via email, click-through, an online opportunity to opt-out or otherwise.
- We may share personally identifiable information with affiliated companies.
- We freely use and disclose data in anonymous form, for example, in statistics or reports to our advertising customers.
Please remember that if you post any information in areas of our Sites that are generally accessible to users, such as chat rooms and message boards, it will be available to the public.
We take reasonable steps to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. But, you should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever completely secure or error-free. In particular, email sent to or from the Sites may not be secure.
Access and Correction; Comments and Questions